samedi 12 janvier 2008

Going round Utsteinen

Words don't make sense if we are to describe what I saw today. Some photos will, maybe.
Going round Utsteinen reveals fascinating beauties. The journey has to be made with climbing edges attached to the shoes on the waves of a shining blue ice ocean. Surrealistic ! Arrived at the middle of the mountain on a frozen lake, at the bottom of a two hundred meters high cliff, the trip leads then into a « wind scoop » (ice cliff made by the wind at the foot of the mountain), about the same height.
I'm holding my breath!
Those among us who travelled through the planet say that Antarctica is the only place where you find such treasures.



We've gone with Benjamin (RTBF journalist) and Jos (VRT). I'm particularly comfortable with them. Jos is a healthy sixty-year old man, calm and very intelligent. Talking with him is delectable. For what concerns Benjamin, he's most of the time inventing new jokes and acting as a clown. We're laughing non-stop.
I don't know what images recorded with me will be kept, but there're surely enough to make a movie! There's a sequence in my tent where I explain how we sleep, a « bathroom » one, another at work (the containers), one when I'm driving a prinoth illustrating what my work is, two or three during the journey in the middle of the wind scoop and we'll be recording another interview in Dutch with Jos.
In facts, they're making me a special subject as I'm the youngest and have some responsibilities. Jos particularly appreciates that I'm speaking Dutch and wants me to be highlighted.
Work doesn't change much. Excepted a little handover on handling two containers, one became a bathroom and the other a hospital. I find back those we filled in Brussels to empty them here.
The building is going well. The ridge changes constantly and it feels good to see concrete things being erected.
About comfort, cold seems bitter every day. Some are spent by -11°c, plus wind. In the evening, a few minutes trip outside is enough to freeze everything which is not clothes-covered. It won't be better as we're going towards the end of the « summer ».
Big hug to everyone!

Aucun commentaire: